Sunday 22 July 2012

Shitalaa Saatam- The two birthdays

Most people in India have two Birthday's. One according to the Roman calender and one according to the Lunar/ Religious/ Hindu calender. I always found it a bit funny that one person was born on 2 separate days. But its more to do with calculating the days differently than  actually having two birthdays.

Being born into a Christian family, I unfortunately had only one every year.

My friend's mother, just texted saying that my birthday according to the Hindu Calender falls on the Seventh day after the full moon towards the new moon in the month of Shraavan. The day is called 'Shitalaa Saatam' and comes on the 9th of August this year.

So, I guess, I will finally have two birthdays this year!

FYI- People fast on the day of Shitalaa Saatam. Now that I know this, I'd rather go back to not having a second birthday. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment